Friday, March 25, 2011

Book #12: Ape House

As I was strolling through the library, about to check out my books and leave, something caught my eye. It was the name on a book in the display: Sara Gruen. I know this name because, well, we share the first one, and because it happens to be the author of one of my all time favorite books, Water for Elephants. On the strength of my love for that book alone, I picked up Ape House and ditched the book I was about to read.

Ape House did not disappoint. In fact it only reinforced my love for this author and her work. Such an incredible look at bonobos which opened my eyes at the harsh mistreatment apes are put through and built a greater appreciation for these beautiful animals. It inspired me so much, I seriously toyed with the idea of a career change to study primates and their language learning abilities. And I'm still toying.
You never know...

No comments:

Post a Comment