Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Book #27: Falling for Hamlet

It's been over a month since I've completed a book. Think I'm back in the groove...
This is a modern day retelling of a Shakespearian classic: Hamlet. If it were a movie, compare it to that Romeo and Juliet from years ago with Leo DeCap.
It's like that.

It's actually hard for me to tell if I like this or not. I read it because of my fondness for Shakespeare, and couldn't put it down because I was so curious of how the plot wold hold up to this retelling.
**Spoiler alert**
Ophelia lives. And it's only because she is the narrator, and you can't have a dead narrator. And I'm conflicted because normally I find Ophelia intriguing and in this version she fell a bit flat for me. Not a whole lot of depth to make her an interesting character.
If you are a Shakespeare fan, it might be worth a read, otherwise I think you might want to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment